4.10.2009

"Splitscreen Gaming Revisited" or "8-player Wii Racing"

A long while back, when this blog was brand new, I did a post about splitscreen gaming and how I felt that it should be brought back as a viable option for multiplayer gaming. Imagine my surprise when today, in Glenview, IL (a few miles away) a publisher announced a racing game for the Wii that supports up to 8 player splitscreen.

The Wii is by no means a graphical powerhouse, this much is true to be sure. But any console would quickly be brought to it's knees with 8 player views being rendered to the same screen. The game is currently in the ALPHA stage (as in so early it's basically the first build worth showing off at all and is by no means the final version) and the art style is simple, yet I don't know what other direction they could have gone with the art style given the number of players they want to allow. Realism would have killed this game.

The other thing that makes me interested in the game is the designer, Archer MacLean. He was the designer responsible for the successful PSP title Mercury Meltdown as well as the Wii game Mercury Meltdown Revolution (though it escapes me if he was involved in that version directly). The guy seems to favor a minimalist art style and seems to put gameplay above all else.

With all that in mind I present the ALPHA trailer for SpeedZone:

1 comment:

  1. Oh boy! Low res graphics in Eye-Strain-O-Vision(TM)! Looks amusing, but I can't believe for a minute it's going to look or play well.

    ReplyDelete